Stressing about what to feed

Posted by Sarahbellum Sarahbellum
      Options
I know i am probably making this harder than I need to!  I have been buying chicken backs as well as skinless boneless thighs.  I grind my meat to keep my dogs from gulping the whole back down and choking.  Amazing, but they eat slower with it ground up.  I have 4 boxers.

I feel like I am feeding too much of the chicken thighs and maybe should be concentrating more on the backs, offal and veggies and not so much on the thighs??

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sarah

3 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
kboser01 kboser01
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stressing about what to feed

What breed are the dogs?  You may need to go with a larger bone to slow them down.
NJBoxers NJBoxers
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Sarahbellum
Sarah, chicken thighs are weight-bearing bones and they are not the proper calcium/phosphorus ratio.  The best RMB's (raw meaty bones) are chicken backs, chicken necks, chicken wings and turkey necks.  

It is very easy to determine if you're feeding them too many veggies or too many rmb's.  If they are overweight, cut back on the rmb's and UP the veggies.  If you see their ribs, then UP the rmb's and cut back on the veggies.

Offal can be given occasionally...doesn't have to be fed daily.

Hope this helps!
Sarahbellum Sarahbellum
Reply | Threaded
|

Thank you.  I have finally done away with the boneless chicken thighs.  I didn't feed chicken thigh bones.  I am feeding all chicken backs, with a few necks and wings.  Along with the offal and a few veggies as well as sardines and sometimes I switch to beef.

I was just stressing about being sure they get everything they need....but I am over that.  I was working myself to death making sure I got everything right.  I do grind everything because there is nothing that can wake you up faster during the nite than a boxer barfing up bones.  LOL  Mine actually eat slower when I grind.

I have one that looks over weight, but I dont' over feed him...just like I don't eat too much myself.  LOL  I have cut him back a few ounces.

Thank you!

Sarah Frazier
Carolina Boxer Rescue
Piedmont Triad/Alleghany County Area Coordinator/Webmaster

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 6:12 PM, NJBoxers [via Ask your BARF Question Here] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sarah, chicken thighs are weight-bearing bones and they are not the proper calcium/phosphorus ratio.  The best RMB's (raw meaty bones) are chicken backs, chicken necks, chicken wings and turkey necks.  

It is very easy to determine if you're feeding them too many veggies or too many rmb's.  If they are overweight, cut back on the rmb's and UP the veggies.  If you see their ribs, then UP the rmb's and cut back on the veggies.

Offal can be given occasionally...doesn't have to be fed daily.

Hope this helps!

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://ask-your-barf-question-here.37062.n7.nabble.com/Stressing-about-what-to-feed-tp108p115.html
To unsubscribe from Stressing about what to feed, click here.
NAML