Turkey neck bones

Posted by lillysma10 lillysma10
      Options
Going to give my 10 year old Westie a Turkey neck. Very nervous! Do I hold the end? I'm so afraid she'll  choke. Thanks.

2 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
NJBoxers NJBoxers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Turkey neck bones

This post was updated on .
Reminds me of me the first time I ever gave my Boxers raw chicken parts with bones...I thought I was going to kill them...my anxiety was through the roof the entire time until they were done...and they lived!  

Do what you feel comfortable doing lillysma10.  Sure you can start by holding it at first while she checks it out, then slowly let go and watch her.  Turkey necks are not easy to break apart and it can keep her busy for a long time.

Just go slow and if you feel at any time you need to calm your nerves, take it away from her if she'll let you...but in the end, I am sure she'll do just fine!  
kboser01 kboser01
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Turkey neck bones

In reply to this post by lillysma10
I agree with the last comment.  I've been feeding raw in dogs from Cavaliers all the way to Irish wolfhounds.  I give my dogs all manner of poultry necks and backs and have never had a problem.  If they bite off more than they can swallow, it will come back up.  It is tough getting used to seeing it, but in my experience, the dogs will figure it out.  Good luck.